Tuesday 1 November 2016

How I Calm Down

Yesterday, in a living room, I put the carpet on stage. On the carpet, I put the laptop, Fundamentals of English Grammar book, Top No. 1 TOEFL book, and one notebook. Firstly, I learned the TOP No. 1 TOEFL book, then Fundamentals of English Grammar book.

The topic in the book was about “Singular forms of other: Another vs the other; and plural forms of other (s) vs the other (s)” Sometimes, I still get confusing of differences between them.  This Is what I have learned from the book.

What I like about the book is the picture, showing the situation.

Singular Forms of Other: Another vs. The Other

Another

Another means “one more out of a group of similar items, one in addition to the one(s)
Another is a combination of an+other, written as one word

The Other

The other means “the last one in a specific group; the only one that remains from a given number of similar items.”

Another and the other can be used as adjectives in front of a noun (e.g., apple) or in front of the word one.

Another and the other can also be used alone as pronouns.

Plural Forms of Other: Other(s) vs. The Other(s)

Other(s)


Other(s) (without the) means “several more out of a group of similar items, several in addition the the one(s).”

The adjective other (without an -s) can be used with a plural noun(e.g., apples) or with the word ones.

The Other(s)

The other(s) means “the last ones in a specific group, the remains from a given number of similar items.”

The other (without an -s) can be used as an adjective in front of a noun or the word ones.

The others (with an -s) is plural pronoun; it is not used with a noun.

There was exercise 56. Let’s read and write. The title of reading is “Calming Yourself.” After reading and writing answer questions, I wrote myself about “How I Calm Down.” I wrote it as my personal experience.





How I Calm Down

Sometimes I feel nervous, especially when I have to speak in the formal situation with crowded people. My body a bit shake, and I realize that I have to calm myself down. This is the technique I use: I motivate myself by speaking through my head. I speak to myself, “Yes.. right now I am speaking in front of the people, I already prepare the contents that I will share, and do not care if people thinking of the way I speak. I can feel my heart rate decrease a little, and my body slowly starts to calm down.

I also watched the Youtube video, “How to Improve Speaking Skills (by yourself)” by Engfluent, it was a good lesson.

That is my journey to learn English. I will post it every day, mostly for my better English.

No comments:

Post a Comment