Wednesday 2 November 2016

What I Share to the New Students

Campus life has stories that will tell every student, such life interesting to tell. Every student will face a new situation, new people, and new room. Especially the new condition where far away from family. 

Duta Toraya has an event every year to welcome Torajan new students. Torajan students are from all provinces in Indonesia which are studying at Duta Wacana Christian University (DWCU). They come with a different background.

I was invited by Duta Toraya to share my experience on October 29th, 2016 as a former student of Duta Wacana Christian University at the event. I was excited to see them, they were young and energic.

Meet New Friends

I introduced myself to them, my background and experiences studied at DWCU. DWCU was memorable to me. I have met friends from different ethnics and provinces, such as Batak, Dayak, and Sunda. From Kalimantan, Sumatra, Java, Sulawesi, Bali, Nusa Tenggara, Maluku, Papua, to student from Timor Leste. I learned how to interact with them, everyone was unique, they had dialogue itself. I appreciated the difference, I knew how they communicate, what was their real cultures. Indonesia consists of many ethnics, languages, and thousand islands.
Scholarship 

DWCU provides scholarships for the student during the study. I share how I got scholarships at DWCU. I got two scholarships when studying, a scholarship from Bank BRI and Valbury Asia. Bank BRI paid all my studied fees in 3rd and 4th semester, not included meal cost and boarding cost. It helped me not worried with the fee.

One of the Bank BRI scholarship requirement is having more than or 3.00 GPA from the 1st-2nd semester. I studied harder to keep my GPA at 3.00 or above, praise the Lord it happened.

The only shortcoming of this scholarship was we must pay first the tuition and then Bank BRI would pay back, it meant I would tell My mom, brother, and sisters to pay the tuition. From many aspects, the scholarship is very useful.

In the 5th until 8th semester, Valbury Asia paid my tuition fee. Valbury Asia also has an office at Duta Wacana, second floor of Agape building.

Valbury Asia has a registration form, I got from a lecturer. Some of the question forms are why you need the scholarship, and what is your goal in life.

Also, I made 10 or more letters. I prepared the letters one month early. Thank you to my lecturer Agustini, because of her I got the scholarship.

Maintain Good GPA

A student asked me how did I maintain GPA 3.00. My answer was while in the class I was focus, and in the weekend, I studied three hours. Moreover, asking a friend, we studied together facing the mid or final test every semester. We taught each other, I would prefer to be taught than teaching friend. My friends were clever.

Before studying, we praying together. We spent the times until morning, from 4 PM until 3 AM.

After studying, we played a game or made jokes. Also, singing very loud. It was just amazing.

Work Part Time

I worked part time at HUMAS as reporter and editor for Koran Kampus. In the 5th semester I was a reporter, and from 6th-8th semester become reporter and editor. I enjoyed working at Koran Kampus, I had a passion for writing. I loved to interview inspiring people. Koran Kampus had one rubric about inspiring people at the campus. Koran Kampus paid me from IDR 300.000-500.000 per month.

I motivated students never give up of facing problems in their study.  Welcome to the new students from Toraja to Duta Wacana Christian University, enjoy your process, never give up.


No comments:

Post a Comment